Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Open Doorways

The open doorway to a Somali friend's apartment building in Eastleigh.


Entering a new culture is an amazing experience. It is said that crossing culture happens in phases: You move from a distant observer, to a inquiring learner, and hopefully a participant. We are no experts, but what we have come to understand is the importance of "open doors".






It is tempting to want people of other backgrounds to meet us on our terms. Come to my house, eat my food, and talk about my interests in my language. It is easy and safe to build friendship on what we know and understand.


The challenge for all of us is to step out beyond what is easy. Do you have any friends of another culture? Do you look for open doorways into the lives of people unlike yourself? Looking back on our own lives, we have had very few friends who weren't a lot like us. And sadly, I do not think that it ever really bothered me. I was very content.


When I look at Jesus, I am increasingly amazed by the diversity of his friends. I am challenged by how attentive he was to open doorways into the lives of others unlike him. Open door can be scary things. We may not know what lies beyond them, but then again that's the adventure!

4 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I praise God for the diversity of cultures He created. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, and none is innately superior to another. (That's a tough one for Anglos, and North Americans in particular.)The amazing part is that a genuine relationship with God is not limited in any way by cultural differences. One day we will all be together to worship Him. Isn't that an amazing thought!

May God richly bless you.

Linda

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for continuing to lead and sharing your thoughts.

David Fagan

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well here I am guys, not a regular Blogger as you well know and have not been on line too much over the past while. Your thoughts on "Open Doorways" are so true and really impacted me. Thanks.

You continue to Bless me through your stories and pictures. They are all amazing.

I have you all in my heart and prayers. Sending Love through this channel of communication across the Atlantic and beyond. God's Blessing to you. Barb

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger four_kennys said...

Thank you all so much for the encouraging comments!

You are so right Linda, "every tribe, tongue and nation" it will be amazing!

Hey David! We have some pretty good "basketballers" here in Eastleigh (that's what they call themselves). They love having American and Canadian come and shoot hoops. We had a team of American coaches visit the centre this summer and do a week of clinics -- it was a huge success!! It would be so cool to have you and Lu come and spend some time in the gym and b-ball courts. We have a weight room that is always in use, but the guys don't have a sufficient diet to bulk up. They are all very interested in improving their exercise.

And Barbara, it is great to read your comment. I'm sorry to hear that you've been sick. We are praying for you and the folks at Midland. We are very excited to be seeing Coleen when she comes in a few weeks.

God Bless!
Aaron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home