Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Halwa


If you asked ten Somalis about the ingredients of halwa you would get at least twelve answers. This sweet part Somali culture is a treasured by most and the secret ingredients to each recipe is well guarded. When we first asked our students about halwa, it was around our small office table as they were preparing it for a class certificate party in January. We were puzzled by the peculiar taste of this sticky treat: "What's in it?" There was a commotion as the students argued over the ingredients -- "sugar!" "butter!" "NO not butter, oil!" "flour and nuts" "garlic..." The list went on.

To shed some light on the subject, we are happy to share a short essay by one of our students.

Halwa by Aasha Ferah
Today I like to talk about Halwa and what it is made and contained.
The Halwa is something cooked. First, water is boiled and then you add or we add sugar, saffron, cardamon oil and butter. After that, or the last thing, we add peanuts. So Halwa contains that or something else.
Halwa is used at special ceremonies like a wedding, parties, and at a birth. We eat it a lot when we are in honeymoon. When we mostly eat it we use a fork, plate and knife. I eat it three days in every week and it is my favorite.





Students in Erica's Beginner English Class





2 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The halwa looks, and sounds, quite tasty. It is a bit hard for me to imagine the combination of garlic and sugar, but I am fairly adventuresome when it comes to food. If I were in Kenya, I would certainly try it. Has Erica learned how to make it?

I have learned so much from your students.

Linda

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger four_kennys said...

We have not ventured into making our own halwa yet. But we will certainly have to write about it when the day comes. As for the taste, I prefer to have lots of soda pop on hand when I'm eating out.

Blessings,
Aaron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home