Monday, April 21, 2008

Sunbeams

A Big THANK YOU to the "sunbeam" painting crew
who volunteered with us this past weekend to
brighten up a few classrooms at the ECC.
Kerry Jividen, Erica Kenny, Jean Enns,
Melanie McKee, Delina Winters,
Lisa Orr, Kathy Beck and Aaron Kenny

Over the past three months, several of the primary classrooms here at the Eastleigh Community Centre were used as temporary homes for over eighty displaced children. As you can see, the classrooms took quite a beating. With the last of the children reunited with their parents just this last week, and the students being off for a two week break, we thought it an opportune time spruce up some of the worst looking/smelling classrooms.

Talk about a transformation!

The final coat of paint went on today. We want to show you the completed classrooms finished with new curtains and teaching aids once the kids come back in early May. Here are a few of the testimonies from some of the children who have been living at the centre. Thank you all so much for holding these little ones in your prayers!

"I was living with my mother in Mathare when the fighting began. We moved to live at the displaced camp at the depot police camp. The staff of ECC came and collected us to join the rescue centre. They catered for our food, provided us with mattresses, blankets and clothes. I was enrolled in the Rev. Kareri primary school. My life and also my brother's life have been good. We both eat and sleep at the rescue centre without fear. I thank God for bringing us here and God bless the staff and this school." Simon Ngatha (Std 4)

"When ECC staff visited the camps, I did not know what was going on and after asking my mother she told me that they wanted us to live at the centre. I was so excited, when I saw most of my friends were alive, I felt so happy that we the children would be taken out of the cold and be taken to a good place, with mattresses and blankets, food and other things. I feel happy since they have taken good care of us. They even gave us mosquito nets to prevent us from catching malaria. The centre also gave our parents blankets, mosquito nets, maize flour and other things. The centre felt good because of our good behaviour. May God bless the ECC staff for their help." Rose Syokau (Std 7)



Text Color

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger The Guthries said...

WOW! What a difference.

Carin

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger The Guthries said...

Wow!
You guys should hire yourselves out:-) I bet the children will love their classroom when they see it.

Carin

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Kathy BECK, not Barton, in the top photo.
Ian Barton

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger four_kennys said...

Thanks for the correction Ian! It has been changed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home