Monday, June 11, 2007

Storms brewing


This morning I met some incredible traffic jams in Eastleigh. I thought I'd be clever and take a short cut only to discover that my secondary route had become a lake. I wish I had brought a camera with me to show you just how much water had built up on Eastleigh's second avenue -- in the middle of the road (that I did not attempt to drive on) was a large blue bus sunk to its windshield in mud red water. All around the bus were men in chest deep water trying to push it out of the depths. Meanwhile, boys struggled together to pull steel carts of everything from fruit to live chickens through the swamp.

This has been a very tumultuous June. The Spring rains have not left Nairobi. In fact, we have had some powerful thunder storms and flooding in the last week. There has also been a lot of conflict in the Mathare Valley slum that neighbour's Eastliegh. The Mungiki sect, a gang that is present in many impoverished areas has been very active. We are told that this is to be expected in an election year (Kenyans go to the polls for a federal election this December).

Please be praying for the safety of our fellow teachers and students in Eastleigh. We are so thankful for your prayers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home