Friday, November 09, 2007

Could you repeat that please?

Learning Somali is allowing us to encounter interesting, wonderful and even shocking aspects of Somali culture. Somalis are traditionally nomadic pastoralists moving with their herds of goats and camels throughout the arid horn of Africa following after rains in search of water and fodder for their animals. Although most of the Somali people we serve in Eastleigh are a generation removed from nomadic life, they carry with them a deep sense of pride and connection to it. For instance, the other morning I was greetedby a Somali friend, Said, who said to me, "Ma bariday?" (Which literally means "Were you left?" I had to shake my head and confess that I did not unnderstand his question.
"Ma bariday?" he repeated. "You know, are you left over?" My blank look must have indicated my confusion, because he continued to explain. "In the bush, when we greet someone in the morning we ask ma bariday. Don't you know about left overs?"
"I don't think so." I replied, still not sure where this was going.
"You know, like at night after you have eaten supper and you put away the food that hasn't been eaten. It is left for another day."
"Okay, I think, but I'm not sure I understand the greeting."
"In the bush the night is very dangerous. Lions take many lives. In the morning we ask "were you left over?"" He begins to laugh. "And you must reply "Haah, waan bariyey!" Which means -- yes, I'm one of the left overs! I wasn't eaten! I survived!"
My friend continues to use this expression because it ties him to his past, and it expresses the continued struggle for survival that Somalis face. Each new morning is a reason to praise God, when survival is a daily struggle -- Yes, I survived!
At the Eastleigh Community Centre, people come together each new morning to share their talents, resources and energy to make life better for this displaced community. The centre offers primary education right through to marketable skills training in eight different trades, as well as business deveopment, micro credit, support groups and community health programs. It is a privilege for us to be able to share in the lives of people lifting up Hope in such a place as this.
This month, Erica and Kelly Carline are beginning a new midweek women's group. It will be meeting at the Eastleigh Fellowship Centre where we have been teaching English. Please pray for us as we continue to make language acquistion a priority; pray for Erica and Kelly's safety as they travel together in Eastleigh; And pray for the relationships being built through these important ministries.
Blessings!

1 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it fascinating how language encapsulates our culture. I guess that is why learning the language is critical to understanding the culture, and being able to relate to the Somali in ways that are meaningful.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I will especially remember Erica and Kelly and their women's ministry. I'll also bring this to the attention of our Mission Circle.

Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home